Barbara P. Chan
Adjunct Assistant Professor
William W.J. Lu
Ng Chun-Man Professor in Orthopaedic Bioengineering
Daisy K.Y. Shum
Anderson H.C. Shum
Kevin K. Tsia
Erica Ueda Boles
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Ed X. Wu
Dr. Shiming Zhang is currently an Assistant Professor at the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE) of the University of Hong Kong (HKU), working on organic bioelectronics based medical devices, soft transistors, and soft memristors. Before that, He spent three years at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), as a postdoctoral scholar, and obtained his Ph.D. from Ecole Polytechnique, University of Montreal, Canada, and B.S./M.S. from Jilin University, China. He was a recipient of the prestigious Vanier Canada Scholarship from the Government of Canada and the Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Student Abroad from the Government of China.
Organic electronics, Organic bioelectronics, Soft electronics, Wearable biosensors
The goal of our research is to develop point-of-care and/or personalized medical devices to promote the healthcare revolution from “hospital-centric to human-centric” in the post-epidemic era. We focus on using emerging organic bioelectronic technologies for low-cost manufacturing of sensitive biosensors and “closed-loop” smart medical systems. Also, we develop soft microchips and memristors by using soft organic electrochemical transistors (OECTs) and soft iontronic hydrogels as game-changing building blocks. Meanwhile, we characterize and optimize the device performance, including their reliability and stability, and build novel soft circuits and architecture from the bottom up.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (*Corresponding Author):
- Xiaochen Wang, Xiang Meng, Shiming Zhang* et al., A sub-1V, microwatt power-consumption iontronic pressure sensor based on organic electrochemical transistors, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 2021.
- Zhikang Li, Shiming Zhang*, Yihang Chen et al., Gelatin Methacryloyl‐Based Tactile Sensors for Medical Wearables, Advanced Functional Materials, 2020.
- Yihang Chen, Shiming Zhang*, Qingyu Cui et al., Microengineered poly (HEMA) hydrogels for wearable contact lens biosensing, Lab on a Chip, 2020
- Shiming Zhang*, Haonan Ling, Yihang Chen et al., Hydrogel‐Enabled Transfer‐Printing of Conducting Polymer Films for Soft Organic Bioelectronics, Advanced Functional Materials, 2019.
- Shiming Zhang, Fabio Cicoira, Flexible self-powered biosensors, Nature, 2018.
Soft organic electrochemical transistors
- Shiming Zhang*, Yihang Chen, Hao Liu et al., Room‐Temperature‐Formed PEDOT: PSS Hydrogels Enable Injectable, Soft, and Healable Organic Bioelectronics, Advanced Materials, 2019.
- Shiming Zhang*, Yang Li, Gaia Tomasello et al., Tuning the Electromechanical Properties of PEDOT:PSS Films for Stretchable Transistors and Pressure Sensors, Advanced Electronic Materials, 2019.
- Yang Li, Shiming Zhang, Xinda Li et al., Highly stretchable organic electrochemical transistors achieved via polyethylene glycol addition, Flexible and Printed Electronics, 2019.
- Shiming Zhang, Fabio Cicoira, Water‐Enabled Healing of Conducting Polymer Films, Advanced Materials, 2017.
- Shiming Zhang, Elizabeth Hubis, Gaia Tomasello et al., Patterning of stretchable organic electrochemical transistors, Chemistry of Materials, 2017.