Adjunct Assistant Professor
Ng Chun-Man Professor in Orthopaedic Bioengineering
Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Glycobiology in neural stem cell maintenance/differentiation
- Neural development and regeneration
- Airway inflammation
- Liu J., Chau C.H., Liu H.Y., Jang B.R., Li X.G., Chan Y.S., D.K.Y. Shum (2006) Upregulation of chondroitin 6-sulphotransferase-1 facilitates Schwann cell migration during axonal growth. J Cell Sci 119:933-942.
- Zhang Y., Yeung M.N., Liu J., Chau C.H., Chan Y.S., D.K.Y. Shum (2006) Mapping heparanase expression in the spinal cord of adult rats. Comp Neurol 494:345-357.
- Chau C.H., D.K.Y. Shum, Xu X.M. (2004). Combinatorial strategies towards spinal cord repair enhancement of the Schwann cell bridge and modification of the graft-host interface. Preclinica 2:409-415.
- Chau, C.H., D.K.Y. Shum, Li, H., Pei, J., Lui, Y.Y., Wirthlin, L., Chan, Y.S., and Xu, X.M. (2003) Chondroitinase ABC enhances axonal regrowth through Schwann cell-seeded guidance channels after spinal cord injury. FASEB Journal (18:194-6. 10.1096/fj.03-0196fje. Epub Nov20, 2003)
- Chan, S.C.H., D.K.Y. Shum, and Ip, M.S.M. (2003) Sputum sol neutrophil elastase activity in bronchiectasis: differential modulation by syndecan-1. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 168, 192-198.
- D.K.Y. Shum and Ip, M.S.M. (2002) Degradation of lung matrix proteoglycans in bronchiectasis. In: HG Garg, PJ Roughley and CA Hales (Eds). Proteoglycans in Lung Diseases in “Lung Biology in Health and Disease” Series. New York, New York, Marcel Dekker.
- Yick L.W., Wu, W, So K.F., and D.K.Y. Shum (2000) Chrondroitinase ABC promotes axonal regrowth of Clarke’s neurons into peripheral nerve graft after hemisection of the spinal cord. NeuroReport 11, 1063-1067.
- Chung, K.Y., D.K.Y. Shum, and Chan, S.O. (2000) Expression of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans in the chiasm of mouse embryos. J. Comp. Neurol. 417, 153-163.
- Chung, K.Y., Taylor, J.S.H., D.K.Y. Shum, and Chan, S.O. (2000) Axon routing at the chiasm after enzymatic removal of chondroitin sulfate in mouse embryos. Development 127, 2673-2683.
- D.K.Y. Shum, Chan, S.C.H., and Ip, M.S.M. (2000) Neutrophil-mediated degradation of lung proteoglycans: stimulation by TNF-alpha in sputum of patients with bronchiectasis. Am. J. Respir. Cell. Crit. Care. Med. 162, 1925-1931.
- D.K.Y. Shum, Gohel, M.D.I., and Tam, P.C. (1999) Hyaluronans: crystallization-promoting activity and HPLC analysis of urinary excretion. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 10, 397-403.
- Chau, C.H., D.K.Y. Shum, Chan, Y.S., and So, K.F. (1999) Heparan sulfates upregulate regeneration of transected sciatic nerves of adult guinea pigs. Eur. J. Neurosci. 11, 1914-26.
- D.K.Y. Shum, and Chau, C.H. (1996) Changes in glycosaminoglycans during the regeneration of post-crush sciatic nerves of adult guinea pigs. J. Neurosci. Res. 46, 465-476.
- D.K.Y. Shum, and Liong, E. (1995) Calcium oxalate crystallization properties of polyanions elaborated by cultured renal proximal tubular cells. Urol. Res. 23, 103-110.
- Ip, M., D.K.Y. Shum, Lauder, I., Lam, W.K. and So, S.Y. (1993) Effect of antibiotics on sputum inflammatory contents in acute exacerbations of bronchiectasis. Resp. Med. 87, 449-454.
- D.K.Y. Shum, and Gohel, M.D.I. (1993) The separate effects of urinary chondroitin sulphate and heparan sulphate on the crystallization of urinary calcium oxalate: differences between stone formers and normal controls. Clin. Sci. 84, 33-39.