Chair Professor of Translational Medical Engineering
Ng Chun-Man Professor in Orthopaedic Bioengineering
- Novel medical ultrasound imaging techniques
- Ultrasound therapy and treatment monitoring
- Biomedical imaging
- Cardiac mechanics
Wei-Ning Lee received her B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical engineering from National Taiwan University (Taipei, Taiwan) in 2001 and 2003, respectively. Major work of her master thesis on an efficient ultrasound speckle tracking method was presented and received a Distinguished Poster Award at the Symposium of Annual Conference of the Biomedical Engineering Society, Kaohsiung, Taiwan in 2002. In 2010 February, Dr. Lee received her Ph.D. degree in biomedical engineering from Columbia University (New York, NY, USA). Part of the dissertation work on the in vivo large animal study of imaging myocardial deformation with ultrasound under graded myocardial ischemia won her a New Investigator Award at the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) Annual Convention in New York in 2009. From 2010 January to 2012 June, she pursued her postdoctoral training at Institut Langevin in ESPCI ParisTech (Paris, France), where she carried out a novel ultrasound-based elastic tensor imaging technique to map the myocardial fibers. This work has been published and selected as a featured article in Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 57, 2012. Dr. Lee joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and the Medical Engineering Program, at the University of Hong Kong as an Assistant Professor in September in 2012. Her main research interests include novel medical ultrasound techniques: strain imaging and shear wave imaging, cardiovascular imaging and mechanics, focused ultrasound therapy, and image processing. She is a member of the IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control Society and also serves as a reviewer for several journals, such as IEEE-UFFC, Medical Physics, Physics in Medicine and Biology, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. She received an Early Career Award from 2013/14 Hong Kong Research Grants Council.
- X. Yu, Y. Guo, S.-M. Huang, M.-L. Li, and W.-N. Lee*, “Beamforming Effects on Generalized Nakagami Imaging,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 60, pp. 7513-7531, 2015.
- Y.-Y. Liao, W.-N. Lee, M.-J. Lee, W.-S. Chen, H.-J. Chiou, T.-T. Kuo, and C.-K. Yeh, “Carpal tunnel syndrome: US strain imaging for diagnosis,” Radiology, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 205-214, 2015.
- W.-N. Lee, B. Larrat, M. Pernot, and M. Tanter, “Ultrasound Elastic Tensor Imaging: Comparison with MR Diffusion Tensor Imaging in the myocardium,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 57, no. 16, pp. 5075-5095, 2012. (Featured Article)
- W.-N. Lee, M. Pernot, M. Couade, E. Messas, P. Bruneval, A. Bel, A. A. Hagege, M. Fink, and M. Tanter, “Mapping Myocardial Fiber Orientation using Echocardiography-Based Shear Wave Imaging,” IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 554-562, 2012.
- E. E. Konofagou, W.-N. Lee, J. Luo, J. Provost, and J. Vappou, “Physiologic Cardiovascular Strain and Intrinsic Wave Imaging,” Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng., vol. 13, pp. 477-505, 2011 (SCI, IF=11.00, 1/70)
- J. Provost, W.-N. Lee, K. Fujikura, E. E. Konofagou. “Imaging the electromechanical activity of the heart in vivo.” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 108, no. 21, pp. 8565-8570, 2011. (Selected reading listed in 2013 Special Report: ASE Roadmap for 2020)
- W.-N. Lee, J. Provost, K. Fujikura, J. Wang, and E. E. Konofagou, “In Vivo Study of Myocardial Elastography under Graded Ischemia Conditions”, Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 1155-1172, 2011. (Selected reading listed in 2013 Special Report: ASE Roadmap for 2020)
- W.-N. Lee, Z. Qian, C. L. Tosti, T. R. Brown, D. N. Metaxas, and E. E. Konofagou, “Preliminary Validation of Angle-Independent Myocardial Elastography Using MR Tagging in a Clinical Setting,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2008 Dec; 34(12):1980-97.
- W.-N. Lee and E. E. Konofagou, “Angle-Independent and Multi-Dimensional Myocardial Elastography- from Theory to Clinical Validation,” Ultrasonics 2008 Nov; 48(6-7):563-7.
- W.-N. Lee, C. M. Ingrassia, S. D. Fung-Kee-Fung, K. D. Costa, J. W. Holmes, and E. E. Konofagou, “Theoretical Quality Assessment of Myocardial Elastography with In Vivo Validation,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, Vol. 54, No. 11, pp.2233-2245, 2007.
Phone: 3917 2703