Adjunct Assistant Professor
Ng Chun-Man Professor in Orthopaedic Bioengineering
Adjunct Assistant Professor
- High-speed optical microscopy and spectroscopy for high throughput screening applications
- Laser microsurgery and therapy
- Novel photonic devices for biosensing applications
Kevin Tsia received his Ph.D. degree at the Electrical Engineering Department at University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) in 2009. He is currently a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering and the Program Director of the Biomedical Engineering Program at the University of Hong Kong. His research interest covers a broad range of subject matters including ultra-fast optical imaging for imaging flow cytometry and cell-based assay high-speed in-vivo brain imaging computational approaches for single-cell analysis. He is currently the HK Research Grants Council (RGC) Research Fellow (2020). He received Early Career Award 2012-2013 by RGC in Hong Kong. He also received the Outstanding Young Research Award 2015 at HKU as well as 14th Chinese Science and Technology Award for Young Scientists in 2016. His recent research on ultrafast optofluidic imaging technologies dubbed “ATOM” and “FACED” have also been covered by media and scientific magazines. He is author or coauthor of over 200 journal publications conference papers and book chapters. He holds 4 granted and 4 pending US patents on ultrafast optical imaging technologies. He is a co-founder of start-up company commercializing the high speed microscopy technology for cancer screening and treatment monitoring applications.
Research group (Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/alphahku.lab/)
- J. Wu, N. Ji & Kevin K. Tsia, Speed scaling in multiphoton fluorescence microscopy. Nature Photonics. 15, 800–812 (2021).
- Stassen, S.V., Yip, G.G.K., Wong, K.K.Y., Joshua W. K. Ho & Kevin K. Tsia, “Generalized and scalable trajectory inference in single-cell omics data with VIA” Nature Communications 12, 5528 (2021).
- Queenie T. K. Lai, Gwinky G. K. Yip, Jianglai Wu, Justin S. J. Wong, Michelle C. K. Lo, Kelvin C. M. Lee, Tony T. H. D. Le, Hayden K. H. So, Na Ji & Kevin K. Tsia, “High-speed laser-scanning biological microscopy using FACED,” Nature Protocols 16, 4227–4264 (2021).
- Gwinky G. K. Yip, Michelle C. K. Lo, Wenwei Yan, Kelvin C. M. Lee, Queenie T. K. Lai, Kenneth K. Y. Wong, and Kevin K. Tsia , “Multimodal FACED imaging for large-scale single-cell morphological profiling”, APL Photonics 6, 070801 (2021)
- Dickson M. D. Siu, Kelvin C. M. Lee, Michelle C. K. Lo, Shobana V. Stassen, Iris Z. Q. Zhang, Hayden K. H. So, Godfrey C. F. Chan, Kathryn S. E. Cheah, Kenneth K. Y. Wong, Michael K. Y. Hsin, James C. M. Ho, and Kevin K. Tsia, “Deep-learning-assisted biophysical imaging cytometry at massive throughput delineates cell population heterogeneity,” Lab on a Chip, 20, 3696 – 3708 (2020). (Front cover in Oct 2020 issue).
- Jianglai Wu, Yajie Liang, Shuo Chen, Ching-Lung Hsu, Mariya Chavarha, Stephen W. Evans, Dongqing Shi, Michael Z. Lin, Kevin K. Tsia & Na Ji, “Kilohertz two-photon fluorescence microscopy imaging of neural activity in vivo,” Nature Methods 17, 287–290(2020)
- Shobana V. Stassen, Dickson M. D. Siu, Kelvin C. M. Lee, Joshua W. K. Ho, Hayden K. H. So, Kevin K. Tsia, “PARC: ultrafast and accurate clustering of phenotypic data of millions of single cells,” btaa042, Bioinformatics (2020)
- Yu-Xuan Ren, Jianglai Wu, Queenie T. K. Lai, Hei Ming Lai, Dickson M. D. Siu, Wutian Wu, Kenneth K. Y. Wong, Kevin K. Tsia, “Parallelized volumetric fluorescence microscopy with reconfigurable coded incoherent light-sheet array,” Light: Science & Applications 9, 8 (2020).
- Kong, C., Christian Pilger, Henning Hachmeister, Xiaoming Wei, Tom H. Cheung, Cora S. W. Lai, Nikki P. Lee, Kevin. K. Tsia, Kenneth K. Y. Wong & Thomas Huser, High-contrast, fast chemical imaging by coherent Raman scattering using a self-synchronized two-colour fibre laser. Light Sci Appl 9, 25 (2020).
- Kelvin C. M. Lee, Andy K. S. Lau, Anson H. L. Tang, Maolin Wang, Aaron T. Y. Mok, Bob M. F. Chung, Wenwei Yan, Ho C. Shum, Kathryn S. E. Cheah, Godfrey C. F. Chan, Hayden K. H. So, Kenneth K. Y. Wong, Kevin K. Tsia, Multi-ATOM: Ultrahigh-throughput single-cell quantitative phase imaging with subcellular resolution, J. Biophotonics, DOI:1002/jbio.201800479 (2019). (Front cover in July 2019 issue).
- Kelvin C.M. Lee, Maolin Wang, Kathryn S.E. Cheah, Godfrey C.F. Chan, Hayden K.H. So, Kenneth K.Y. Wong, Kevin K. Tsia, “Quantitative phase imaging flow cytometry for ultra-large-scale single-cell biophysical phenotyping” Cytometry A, https://doi.org/10.1002/cyto.a.23765 (2019)
- N Meng, Edmund Y Lam, Kevin K. Tsia, Hayden KH So, “Large-scale multi-class image-based cell classification with deep learning,” IEEE journal of biomedical and health informatics 23 (5), 2091-2098 (2018).
- Wenwei Yan, Jianglai Wu, Kenneth K. Y. Wong, and Kevin K. Tsia, “A high-throughput all-optical laser-scanning imaging flow cytometer with biomolecular specificity and subcellular resolution”, J. Biophotonics, 11, e201700178 (2018). (Front cover in Feb 2018 issue).
- Jianglai Wu, Yiqing Xu, Jingjiang Xu, Xiaoming Wei, Antony CS Chan, Anson HL Tang, Andy KS Lau, Bob MF Chung, Ho Cheung Shum, Edmund Y Lam, Kenneth KY Wong and Kevin K Tsia, “Ultrafast Laser-Scanning Time-Stretch Imaging at Visible Wavelengths,” Light: Science & Applications 6, e16196 (2017) **highlighted in Nature Photonics’s News and Views (April 2017).
- Antony Chan, Andy K. S. Lau, Kenneth Kin-Yip, Edmund Lam, Kevin Tsia, “Arbitrary two-dimensional spectrally-encoded pattern generation – a new strategy for high-speed patterned illumination imaging,” Optica 2, 1037-1044 (2015).
- Jingjiang Xu, Xiaoming Wei, Luoqin Yu, Chi Zhang, Jianbing Xu, K. K. Y. Wong, and Kevin K. Tsia, “High-performance multi-megahertz optical coherence tomography based on amplified optical time-stretch,” Biomed. Opt. Express 6, 1340 (2015).
- T. T. W. Wong, A. K. S. Lau, K. K. Y. Ho, M. Y. H. Tang, J. D. F. Robles, X. Wei, A. C. S. Chan, A. H. L. Tang, E. Y. Lam, K. K. Y. Wong, G. C. F. Chan, H. C. Shum, K. K. Tsia, “Asymmetric-detection time-stretch optical microscopy (ATOM) for ultrafast high-contrast cellular imaging in flow,” Sci. Rep. 4, 3656 (2014).
- Terence T. W. Wong, Andy K. S. Lau, Kenneth K. Y. Wong, Kevin K. Tsia, “Optical time-stretch confocal microscopy at 1 um,” Opt. Lett. 37, 3330 (2012).
- K. Goda, Kevin. K. Tsia, and B. Jalali, “Serial Time-Encoded Amplified Imaging for Real-Time Observation of Fast Dynamic Phenomena” Nature, 458, 1145-1149 (2009).